Monday, April 25, 2011

My Mommy Has a Dancing Heart

My sons come home every week with a Friday Folder full of their graded papers and important notes for parents.  Proof that I am such a "with it" mom, I checked my sons Friday Folder...Sunday.  Luckily we did not miss anything pertinent this weekend. 

What I did find though was a paper sack puppet that my youngest had made.  He explained to me that they had read a story in class called, My Mommy Has a Dancing Heart.  The children then made paper bag puppets of their mothers.

Um...what kind of dancing is this puppet doing?!  I'm assuming it's not just her heart that's dancing.  What?  Were they out of tassels?

A few blogs back I had promised an African Peanut Soup recipe and never delivered.  Here it is:

2 onions, chopped
1 TBS peanut or vegetable oil
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp ginger root peeled and grated
1 cup chopped carrots
2 cups diced sweet potatoes
4 cups vegetable stock or water
2 cups tomato juice
1 cup smooth peanut butter
1 TBS sugar (optional)
1 cup chopped scallions or chives

In a large soup pot, hear oil and saute onions until transparent.  Stir in the cayenne pepper and fresh ground ginger.  Add the carrots and saute two more min. Mix in the potatoes and stock or water, bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 15 min.

In a blender or food processor, puree the veggies with the cooking liquid and tomato juice.  Return the puree to a soup pot.  Stir in the peanut butter until smooth.  Taste the soup.  Its sweetness will depend upon the carrots and sweet potatoes.  If necessary, add a little sugar to enhance the other flavors.

Reheat the soup slowly, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching. To thin soup, add more water, stock or tomato juice.  Serve topped with plenty of chopped scallions or chives.


The results were delicious!  A little bit of sweet and spicy.  Reminded me of the peanut sauce I make for my spring rolls.  YuM!  I was curious about the calories in this and did some research on-line.  The recipes were a smidgen different from mine so I could not get an accurate calorie count.  What I did learn is that some versions include rice.  Others throw shrimp in as well.  So you can be creative with it.  I think rice would be an excellent addition!

Now I need to go have a "sit down" with my youngest son about dancing mothers....

No comments:

Post a Comment