Thursday, October 6, 2011

A Good Apple

When a child has a birthday in Drew's class, his teacher has the students write a letter to the birthday child telling them all the good things about them.  To start the class brainstorms, raising their hand to tell a word that describes the child.  Ms. D writes it on the chalk board and then the kids can use the words on the board to help write their letter.  For example: If "nice" is on the board a student may write, "You are nice because you help people."

When I got Drew's book we sat down together to read his letters.  His classmates said the sweetest things about him!  Drew was beaming.  At the end of the book Ms. D wrote everything that had been put on the board. 

Drew's read (and in purple because it's his favorite color):

Dear Drew,

Happy birthday!  We think you are:

empathetic, clever, artistic, a team player, helpful, caring, selfless, determined, smart, really kind, generous, nice, polite, considerate, happy, joyful, positive, creative, giving, an outside the box thinker, patient, loving, cooperative, loyal, sincere, sensitive, honest, truthful, genuine, and a magnificent Magic Maker!

Love,

Your Classmates and Ms. D

My eyes welled up and I choked the words out as I read those traits all together to describe my son.  That is what a mother hopes for!  "The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.” (Galatians 5:22)  I think all of those things were listed!  What an awesome kid.  I'm so proud of him.

I wish Gabriel's class would do the same.  He is already planning on having a Samurai party.

"We could have sushi!"  I suggested.

"And you will have to make me a Samurai costume because there are none in the stores.  For kids, that is."

"Maybe we won't do costumes buddy."

"But that's what makes it so fun!  You made gauntlets and greaves for Drew's knight costume..."

Oh boy.

The good news is I have until May to figure out how to make a Samurai costume.  Either that or to convince him to go another route....  What will we do?  Make a pinata that we disembowel? 

"And I'll need a katana."

I love my sons!

No comments:

Post a Comment