Monday, March 22, 2010

What a mother will do for her children and State

I guess it was back in December sometime that my sons stayed over at my moms. For whatever reason they were talking about our great state of Texas. They quizzed each other on the State Bird, the State Tree, the State Flower, etc. My youngest, Drew, is a foodie. (The boy loves to shop for it, prepare it and, of course, eat it.) All this talk about the things Texas has named their best got the boy to thinking: What is the State Cupcake? Mom laughed and everyone who ever heard the story laughed. I laughed too and then....I wondered...

Drew and I got on the computer one day (because he asked me again what the State Cupcake was)and did a little research to find out there is indeed no State Cupcake. Why oh why did I feel the need remedy this? But I did more research to find out how to make it happen. It requires legislation and so I contacted our state reps and got everything into motion. They are currently out of session until January 2011 but our request in on file for the 82nd session. This gives us time to choose a cupcake to be declared The Texas State Cupcake!

Enter Relay for Life. Relay for Life is an overnight fundraiser for cancer research. The idea is that cancer never sleeps and so we don't either. Teams of people camp out around a track and walk all night in a relay fashion. Some events run for a 24 hour period. Ours is for 12. 7 p.m.- 7 a.m. Each team is also required to do an on-site fundraiser. This helps to raise more money for cancer research as well as give us things to do to keep us up all night. My team is called Craving a Cure and our fundraiser is a cupcake bake-off.

I am having so much fun working on this event and trying to pull it together. I am also wondering what in the world am I doing? This is a lot of work all because my little Nugget asked if there was a State Cupcake! Unbelievable.

We have cupcakeries from all over the state coming to this thing. It's going to be amazing! Professional and amateurs alike are getting involved. My sons can not wait to start the judging!

If you would like to participate in this event either by entering a cupcake or donating to the American Cancer Society you can click on this link here: http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY10PL?pg=team&fr_id=26415&team_id=643391.

We are excited about the whole process and it will be so cool that if one day another child wonders what the Texas State Cupcake is they can have an answer! Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment